Saturday, April 2, 2016

Reflection from Drea



Today we had a nice day on a boat looking for dolphins and a snorkeling trip. Before that we went into town to pick up kids who are in the environmental club. The kids were so excited to go on the boat with us. We looked for an hour in the lower part of the gulf. We then stopped in a protected cove and went snorkeling and swimming. When u looked down us saw many schools of fish and beautiful reefs which were affected in the temperature rising a few years ago and now the reef has recovered and thriving. The water was warm and salty which made it hard to see and swim with the current. After we got out of the water and underway again we enjoyed a nice lunch provided by the wonderful manager of Ventanas de Osa who made all of our meals except lunch. As soon as, we finished lunch and headed to a mangrove forest. We saw a huge pod of dolphins jumping everywhere around the boat. When we got back and had time to relax we headed to a farewell Fiesta at the school and played a huge soccer game. Also, the homestay mothers prepared Costa Rica’s famous meal…beans and rice.  We also handed the Community leader a RHP shirt signed by every participant on this trip. To end the Fiesta in a fun way we broke a piƱata so all the kids enjoy. Now we are winding down to prepare for tomorrow’s early drive to the research center on the other side of the peninsula.

I have enjoyed the small plane ride over to Puerto Jimenez because it is fun and like a roller coaster over the island. I also enjoyed the chocolate tour and seeing the process of how chocolate was made. I also enjoyed trying the variety of tropical fruits that are native to Costa Rica

I have learned to be thankful for the life that I was born into and that people have different lifestyles than mine. It is making me realize that I shouldn’t be a brat if I don’t get something I want because there are other people in the world that have less than me and would be thrilled to get all that I ask for.

Dear Mom and Dad,
I am having a great time but this heat is way worse than New Mexico and the kids are more hyper than me. I am so happy that you sent me on this trip when I didn’t mention it at first. This trip has really opened up my eyes to recognize different perspectives on life. I see this because the life we live is different from the little houses these locals live. The forest is so diverse and lush that the hike to the waterfall is amazing.

Mom: Miss you lots, and hope that I could call you just to hear your voice because I am very homesick and miss my nice bed and the California weather.


Dad: Dad I am looking forward to see your face when I get back because you didn’t see me leave can’t wait to catch up about New Mexico and see Bear. Safe travels, and C u soon.


1 comment:

  1. Miss you too Drea. So happy to see all the adventures you are having on this trip! Looks like you are all making special lifetime memories and friendships. See you soon. xoxo Mom, Dad, & Bear

    ReplyDelete