Saturday, April 2, 2016

Reflection from Tyler


In today’s adventure through the incredible Puerto Jimenez, we identified and expressed our inner feelings and attributes. We saw how there is no one definition of a leader and that a leader can be any one that believes they can change the world.
            In the morning we ate a magnificent breakfast that consisted of a typical Costa Rican meal. We devoured a plate full of beans, rice and toast. After that we gathered together with our local leaders and did activities that helped us discover who we truly are. The leaders opened our eyes to seeing how each one of us are different in our own ways and that even though we are different we can still accomplish the path towards becoming a leader. In only three days in being in Costa Rica my perspective of life has already changed. I realize how lucky we are to be coming to a majestic land like Costa Rica and how blessed we are to live in a place where we have access to education, hospitals and plenty of career opportunities.
            In the afternoon after our meal and activities we walked down to the school where a group of guides were waiting with us to take us through the jungles. In the jungle I saw sights that might only be seen in a lifetime. It amazed me in how incredible the jungle was. While we were walking we saw two men who were working hard at mining for gold. These two men shoveled tons of gravel just to obtain a speck of gold. The one surprising thing I saw in these two men is that they did not complain. Even though it was raining and humid, they worked and there hard work is an aspect in life that every leader and everyone should have. After going through the heart of the jungle we took off our shirts and jumped in the cool, refreshing water. Swimming with all my classmates was probably the highlight of the day. Even though it was raining and we were not in the best conditions for swimming it was still a blast. After the swim we started walking back and saw our homestay moms in the rain with delicious meals that they prepared. I was very surprised they came all the way out there in the rain. I felt very grateful for what they have done. So maybe next time I shouldn’t complain if I have to take out the trash.
            After the hike we went to the school and went to work. We all worked together to move branches, chip away at old paint, move cement and dig holes. It is cool to see the gradual improvement of the school. I feel lucky to be able to go to a school like RHP that allows us to excel not only academically but also morally. At night we all sat in the dinning room and ate an amazing dinner.  The meal was exquisite and I am never disappointed with the food prepared for us. In Costa Rica I don’t remember ever being hungry. The day was amazing and I ended with a nice cold shower and eating a bag of beef jerky.

Dear mom and dad,
            I am having so much fun here in Costa Rica. Even though it is incredibly hot and humid I am having the time of my life. All the locals are so generous and nice to us and they always greet us with a smile. When I first got here I didn’t know if I would have fun because of how sticky and sweaty I was even after showers sometimes but now I love being here. We are being fed constantly and are always getting reminded to drink water, reapply bug spray and to put on sunscreen. I wish you guys can come here and experience this life for yourself; it is an adventure I will never forget. Thank you so much for allowing me to come. Now I actually like Spanish and I would want to take it next year so if I come back I can talk more to the locals here. I love you and miss you.
Love,

Tyler


No comments:

Post a Comment