Wednesday, April 6, 2016

Reflection from Kelly


Yesterday was our last day of activity, and we had an opportunity to go on a hike to the beach, to check if there are any sea turtles eggs. It was a voluntarily activity because people who signed up needed to wake up at 4am. Well, for the spirit of leaving no regret, I signed up for the hike. Thinking how great it’s going to be, I went on the hike well prepared, then after ten minuets of hiking, I got lost. This story tells us that no matter how careful you are, bad things happen. Anyway, I was lucky, why? Because I was not the only one who got lost, a girl on my team (Angie) and I got lost together, true friends. After 10 mins of waiting, our instructor Javier came back for us, so we were fine and this part of the story tells us how important to choose a strong teammate to carry you…

When we caught up to the group, they had already found a sea turtle nest, and we formed a line to take those eggs out. I was a little afraid because I had never held onto something fragile, so the moment I touched one of the turtle eggs, I freak out, because the shell was soft. Automatically, I thought I broke it, but later I found out that sea turtle eggs suppose to be soft…Thank God.

So after the hike, we went back to the dorm, showered, played cards, ate lunch at the station, then headed to the next hotel which was near the airport. We were so excited about leaving because the location of that hotel represented that we were going to go home for real. We didn’t have to stay in Costa Rica for the rest of our life. So we had a great time on the bus, when I thought there’s nothing going to go wrong, our bus broke down… yeah!

After almost 2 hours of waiting, we finally hit the road again.  Afterwards, we settled in the hotel, we went out for ice cream, then visited some stores, and carried all those snacks I bought. I slept happily; even the bugs on my bed seemed adorable. The next morning, I packed up, ready for the journey back to home…I thought, “well there would be no accidents at all,” then the plane hit some huge winds in the sky. The airplane went up and down, also did some weird dance moves. Well…how awesome?

Got off the plane, I swore if there’s one more accident, then I’m going to stay in Costa Rica forever, it’s fate! Lucky for me, later on, there’s no more surprises and we all arrived safely.

This trip was a challenge for all of us, nobody will tell their parents that we had the most comfortable vacation and luxurious service, because, well…we didn’t. But these ten days would definitely be something that we won’t forget. We learned, played, laughed together and we got to know each other better. Also, we all stepped out of our comfort zone. It’s a great opportunity for us all and even though we got sick, we cried, we struggled, and we were kind embarrassed on this trip as well, I still love it, and I hope the others enjoyed their journey as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment