Tuesday, April 5, 2016

Reflection from Simone


Today for breakfast we had pancakes and fruit, which was nice because I’m over having rice and beans with almost every meal this trip. After breakfast we separated into two groups and shifted between looking at the sea turtle program that the research station has to offer and hiking to the video camera traps the facility set up in the jungle. In the morning my group and I headed up to the beach through the jungle, which was about a twenty-minute hike. The walk on the beach was so beautiful it looked unreal, the way the jungle and the beach met and the fog hung right over some of the trees while the waves crashing in the background left me breathless. We trudged through dark sand that was so dark because the sand was made from rocks not shells, according to Sara (our guide). Once we arrived at the hatchery, Manuel explained to us that the research center created the hatching station for the turtles to try and preserve them from not only predators and people but from the mother turtles laying their eggs in the wrong location as well. He went on about how they place the nests in a sort of checkered pattern that has spaces between nests so, that if one nest is infected by fungi or other things the other nests wouldn't since they aren’t right next to each other. After he explained this and a few other things about the sea turtles we headed back to the research site to have lunch. We ate rice and beans and chicken (no surprise). With some free time on our hands we played an intense game of cards- like we do every day. Then as our free time was up we headed to the lab and we were shown a presentation about different cats and wildlife in the jungle. We were shown footage that was caught of many animals by the motion-censored cameras that is set up in the jungle. After the slide show we hiked through the forest again. We hiked through the river and throughout the hike we saw a few cool birds, some spider monkeys in the trees, and an anteater in a tree as well. Finally, as we arrived at the camera we were to take footage from we discovered the camera was out of battery. Hoping that there were still videos of animals on the camera, we took the sim card from the camera and replaced it with the new one after we changed the batteries. We hiked back to the site to look if there were any videos.

This trip I enjoyed the fact that I stepped out of my comfort zone a lot. My favorite thing was being able to have a “mom” on this trip. Although she didn't speak any English whatsoever, I had to communicate with the little Spanish that I knew. I was surprised with the amount of Spanish I talked with her and that I could semi carry on a conversation even though it was very difficult. I loved her son Jordan, although he could be crazy at times. He always put a smile on my face. He would ramble on and on in Spanish not giving me a chance to answer him at all, which made things easier in a way. I didn't really have to talk even though he thought I knew everything he was saying because I would nod and laugh at him. I loved meeting all these people and children and experiencing the life they lived and seeing the world through their eyes for a short amount of time.

During this trip, I learned that I need to appreciate things more, even if it’s just the small things. Staying in Dos Brazos del Rio Tigre made me realize that not everyone has life as good as I do. Happiness is not about where you live or how much money you have, its about the people who you are surrounded by.  Although this town didn't have much they all seemed so happy and it made me happy. I noticed the small things, whether it was the 10 kids that came snorkeling with and us all splitting the leftover sandwiches we gave them; the way the women all would help each other carry things when we hiked to the river the one day; how our hiking guide stopped to help men in the river mine for gold; the way the whole village surrounded the soccer field watching the friendly match of fútbol going on. It all made me think that this is how life should really be: everyone being happy and appreciating each other no matter the amount of money or the area they live. Although it's a cliché learning experience I still believe it’s true.

To my family:

I love and miss you guys so much, the house is probably very quite without me and you can only enjoy that for about three more days. In the past 10 days I have twisted my ankle 2 times on each foot, gotten a dozen mosquito bites and some other things have happened to me but I’m going to save those stories for once I get home along with the 4 billion other things you are going to hear about my adventure I’ve had here. Mama, I really miss you cooking for me every night…so the one thing I ask for once I come home is to have some really good dinner…..preferably sushi but I mean if you aren’t down to make it we can always go out. Dad, I miss you driving around with me in Margarita so once I get out of the airport I would love if you could pick me up in her. Scarlett, our room better be clean once I come home and if lake is over make sure he’s not too annoying once I get home. Ava I hope your being just as loud as me so the house isn’t too quite. Lucas, I don't have anything to tell you other then the fact that you are my favorite brother and I miss you even though you bug me sometimes. Once again I cant tell you guys how much I miss you and I cat wait to come home and see you. Much love and don’t miss me too much.




No comments:

Post a Comment