Thursday, March 31, 2016

Reflection from Kellen


In yesterday’s experience, we visited a local chocolate farm that served us food and provided new knowledge to everyone. When we arrived, the weather seemed impossible to survive in, but the landscapes were breathtaking. The workers there were very generous, and provided lunch, an informational tour, samples of fresh fruit, and a chocolate treat after. Although the tour was fun and informational, it also served as a great lesson. Many of us take food for granted. When eating, we rarely think about the hard work that goes into picking, processing, and shipping each product. For example, our tour guide, Juan, showed us a cashew tree (Yes, there is an actual cashew plant…I didn't know that.) and let us taste the fruit. The stem of each fruit contains one cashew nut, and the fruit itself. Cashews are one of my favorite snacks to eat, but I never realized how many cashew fruits were needed just to fill up a small bag. It may not be wasteful, but it doesn't seem efficient to eat only the cashew nut, but not the fruit. The tour served as an interesting, but thought provoking experience.

Despite the contradiction, I appreciate the suffering. It’s hard to realize how different a culture is until you actually experience it for yourself. The weather, lack of shelter, insects, and many different factors are assumed to hold people back from succeeding, but some how Costa Rican natives happily survive and embrace the love for their country. When visiting this country, you question how one could sleep every night while constantly worrying about mosquitos and the humidity. I have eternal respect for those who can survive these setbacks AND do it with a smile on their face. Also, I can proudly say that I have never met such a genuinely nice group of people. In Los Angles, it’s common to never make eye contact with strangers, but in Costa Rica everyone greets you as you walk and are very patient despite our lack of knowledge in Spanish. Our host moms volunteer to take us into their house and make us excellent food. I just wish I could speak Spanish to show more of my gratitude!

Dear mom and dad,

Thank you for sending me on this trip. I know how much you spoil me, and I also know that I don't express as much love as I should. This trip is incredibly fun, but also makes me realize how much I miss home. Mrs. Hagee says hi! I’ll see you guys soon. Love you.



3 comments:

  1. Hi Kel. I'm so very happy to see you are taking in all you can from this trip, from the positives to the negatives and everything in between. Already you have become so much more. No thanks needed, you deserve it! Keep staying open and enjoy, enjoy. Can't wait to see you, hug you, and have you tell us all about the entire adventure. Tell Mrs. Hagee "Hi" back and give her a big, warm "Thank you" hug from me:) Love you more...Mom xoxoxo

    Hey Kel, glad you are enjoying your experience and looking at things with an open mind and heart. Not everyone understands that things are different outside the U.S.. I hope that this experience gives you a new appreciation for your life and will aspire you to bigger and better things!! Looking forward to seeing you next week, and listening to all of the stories you have. Dad

    ReplyDelete
  2. HEY HOW COME I DIDN'T GET A NICE LITTLE NOTE

    I'm so proud of you Kel. You have grown and accomplished so much in just the past year. It has truly been a pleasure to watch. I'm so glad you're enjoying your trip, but the United States 100% sucks without you. I miss you so much so hurry up and get home. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Howzit Kell,

    Aunty Nan & I are so impressed with your reflections. It shows how much you are opening up your mind & hour heart & growing in leaps & bounds. The things you talked about in your reflections express some very important realizations of Life.....The Law of Cause & Effect. It takes the work & sacrifice of many to bring us even a simple little nut. Today Aunty & I ate some cashews & we thought of what you said about the cashew fruit. It changed our whole experience. We were Aware of every nut we put in our mouth. Very different from our usual experience of chomping mindlessly on handful after handful.

    Kell, it seems that you have stepped outside-the-box & you're not looking back. Due to your courage to face your life, the walls that once bound you, have been blown out of the water. You are spreading your wings & you are taking flight. And because of this, the sky is the limit.....truly. Awesome Man!!! Aunty Nan & I are so proud of you. Keep On Keepin' On!!! We are so looking forward to seeing you soon & hearing all about your trip. Oh & also looking forward to kickin' your okole in Pusoy!!! LOL!!! Have a Great Rest of Your Trip.

    Aunty Nan adds that she's so happy & proud that you found the appreciation for the life of the cashew & therefore for the life of all things. She sends you her love.....we both do And she also says to take care & have more great lessons in Life & to share a lot of fun & friendship.

    ReplyDelete